Real Life Scenario:
In retail chain stores it’s common to have RFID sensors on the shelves, that need to send data to the warehouse and make an order for the missing stock. Apache Kafka is a popular platform used by big-box retailers as they need big-data platforms to support their activity. There’s a potential risk of loosing money if it’s not identified in time that the Kafka stream doesn’t work and doesn’t transfer the message that the retailer is out of stock. In this case, the empty shelf would not be filled up and the retailer would be unprofitable.
APACHE-KAFKA Diagram, from: https://kafka.apache.org/
Apache Kafka is an open-source stream processing platform developed by the Apache Software Foundation written in Scala and Java. Kafka is used for building real-time data pipelines and streaming apps. It is horizontally scalable, fault-tolerant, wicked fast, and runs in production in thousands of companies.
Additionally, Kafka connects to external systems (for data import/export) via Kafka Connect and provides Kafka Streams, a Java stream processing library.
Optimizing Apache Kafka Performance
Apache Kafka is a Big Data platform operating distributed applications running on large clusters of hardware so chances are big for down time and data motion interruptions. Kafka users, having a complex IT environment, must-have a clear end-to-end monitoring and performance view of their business key performance metrics. They need to align delivery expectations with required levels of service availability and performance for both external and internal customers (SLA/OLA).
How Centerity Improves Apache Kafka processes?
Centerity’s unified IT performance analytics platform supports Apache Kafka data intensive framework and is a certified for a variety of Hadoop distributions which Kafka may be implemented with. Centerity provides, real-time end to end visibility to the entilr Kafka environment stack including Hardware, OS, Networking, Systems, Applications and more.
- Centerity’s integration with Apache Kafka includes selected, best practice metrics with a flexibility to add custom metrics from JMX and change alert thresholds.
- The implementation is quick because Centerity provides Unified platform which is installable as a single software appliance.
- Centerity continuously cycles through the system collecting metrics from each device or application in scope and normalizes this data for cross-domain, impact, trend and root cause analysis.
- Executive Dashboards present Real-time service levels of key business process that can be drilled into for deeper inspection.
- Dynamic thresholds are triggered and issued before warnings become critical and while proactive actions can be taken.
- History data can be analyzed for continuous process improvements.
Centerity’s award winning software provides a unified enterprise-class IT performance analytics platform that improves performance and reliability of business services to ensure availability of critical systems. By delivering a consolidated view across all layers of the technology stack including, applications, Big Data, operating systems, database, storage, compute, security, networking, Cloud, Edge, and IoT/IIoT devices, Centerity provides an early warning of performance issues along with corrective action tools to quickly isolate faults and identify root causes.